Wednesday, August 29, 2012


Call for Help......From Everybody

As stated last week we will be consolidating the past few posts about encaustic painting and will include in PDF form in the side bar as a resource to be used whenever you need or want it.

Also, last week we asked for your "What's Next" suggestions to move us along.

Jennifer, one of our most loyal readers and frequent commenters posed this question:
. . . I would like is to hear how people deal with their blocks? for the past month or so I have had to force myself to make anything. I can pick out the image, decide on papers and color but actually sitting down and putting it together is a totally different story. I know part is that my stuff is in a big upheaval but even when I know where it all is I still lose interest.

Since this is such a common problem and since........

None of Us is as Smart as ALL of us!

......we are sending this out to all of you, asking for your help.  

What is your  favorite "Block Buster."

PLEASE send your suggestions to:


For this week we are asking you to check back often. We won't be sending out emails with every post but we will be adding your ideas as soon as they are received.

  
ggd will start with one of our best "motivators." 

• The dread deadline! Without one, our projects tend to gather dust. Even better than a deadline....if the project is connected to a person, a request or a project for someone else, it stands a much better chance of completion. The "just for fun" or "just for me" projects seldom get finished, if, indeed, they even get started.
(See bottom of post for help from viewers.)

For almost every question these days there are two standard replies:

Did you Google it?     
or      
There must be an ap for that!

A third.....Somebody wrote a book about it!




It's such a common problem there are MANY books written about it. Though "Writers' Block" is the most common theme, there are, none-the-less lots of approaches for the visual artist. A quick look at the results from an Amazon search will surprise you.

Books are fine......but it's your personal, real world, real results advice we want to hear about.

This should be a valuable resource.....but only if everyone helps. 

Remember to check back often during the week for the latest hints and suggestions........and to share your most effective tricks.

Thanks everyone.
ggd
Charlotte




What is your favorite "BLOCK BUSTER?"

From FAB (Arlene Faber)
Here is one thought. Skip making a project and do some components for future projects. My first thought was make a stack of backgrounds. Or punch a bunch of flowers and butterflies and leaves. Or stamp a few pages with some images and then color them in. Maybe use more than one coloring medium, especially trying at least one you don't usually use.

I hope this will help you find a place to start creating again.

ggd....Thanks for getting us off to a good start Arlene!


 --------------------------------------

Yogi Weighs In   THE BLOCK. I'm assuming this question is just for us scrappers, card makers and misc artists, not BUSINESS related artist blocks, as in for a deadline, that's a whole other story...

So why is it so important to get over the block?? Maybe your mind, body, spirit needs a rest. I know I recently went through about a 10 day dry spell. I think that's the longest I've ever gone through not creating. But I didn't call it a BLOCK. I just let it happen and came back with a burst.

I know there has to be some kind of mind related need to create something. If there is no reason, there is no focus, and you absolutely need some type of focus. So give yourself a reason or a need to create something. Like: I need something for that wall, or I should make a birthday card for my uncle etc. etc..

Once you have a focus/reason, then you can apply the principles of creating: color choices, topics, images and play with it. Even if you don't finish it. That's OK too. It's not always the finished product but the journey you take in playing with all the elements, including your thinking process and the tangents that come from that.

Have a great day.

ggd......Thank you Yogi.


 --------------------------------------

Michelle Morlan joins the discussion: 

Hello everyone!

When I seem to be empty of inspiration and motivation I like to go out doors. Mother nature is the great inspirer. Just spending a bit of time looking at creation is energizing. Then I can come in and get a pile of 'miscellany' out and just start collaging and creating.

Another kick start is to look through old art magazines. Everything is new again and what I thought was interesting the first time isn't necessarily what piques my interest this time!

Thanks so much ggdesigns for keeping this blog ongoing for us all! Really appreciate it!
Michelle @ Sparrow Foot Stamps and Art Becomes Me
 

 -------------

Hmmm....Outdoors?   Outdoors to read a magazine?  : )  Yes, ggd knows you didn't "connect" them but a soft breeze and a seat under a shade tree with a magazine to browse? Sounds delightful!


 -------------

More from Michelle:
I also love Fab and Yogi's comments.
Having a purpose in mind makes me more motivated!
I really like making backgrounds, there are so many fun and interesting techniques. They are a great way to start the creative juices flowing! 

--------------------------------------

Another idea.......from Sharon Currier

Dear Jennifer, 
A suggestion that might help would be to go out into nature, or someplace that you just feel is "beautiful & peaceful".  Sit there and look, in detail, around you and notice what is it about that particular place or thing that moves you so.  How is it different than other places?  What emotions arise?  Then take that emotional feeling back into your art area & let the creative force of that "emotion" combined with your energy create something that will inspire and move others in the same way you are moved.  Don't create the art, but rather, create the emotion-share that with others.
Enjoy
Sharon

ggd--Don't you LOVE the "get away from it all" approach? The need to share comes up repeatedly as a "starter," a "move you along," approach. Gives new meaning to ". . .better to give than receive."  Who knew it was such a trigger to creativity?

--------------------------------------

Sally shares one of her solutions:
 
 
I will sometimes allow the "block" and wait for enthusiasm, but other times I will sit with my art journal and watercolors and color the entire page with whatever color appeals to me at the moment.  Then I may go on to make geometric forms, such as circles, pyramids, squares, etc, in black pen.  Then I may stamp all over it, and possibly use collage.  No guarantees, but if I do this everyday, I usually get enthusiasm back again.
 
Sally Bowen


ggd--Thanks for your addition to our "bag of tricks."



--------------------------------------


Roberta makes it a "Block Party:"

Anxiety and frustration can cause artist's block.  Just the other day, I finally decided to go to a rather local place called Scrap That.  It was just what I needed.  I rented a space for $5 and got to use whatever tools were available.  Up to that point in time, I had always made the excuse that I had my own studio so why should I go elsewhere.  Even though I have lots of tools, papers, etc., there's something about going somewhere else to create.  Not to mention, they had tools I didn't AND they had paper trimmers that I'd had before and now I like my current trimmer even better!

Another launch for creativity is getting together with a few friends and doing a shoebox swap.  One friend is fine, but more is more merrier.  It doesn't even have to be a project per se.  Many times we've just shared a technique or two or three but bring all the materials for that technique for each participant.  It's always been a lot of fun to get together with others of like minds.

Roberta Worley aka TheAfricanQueen

ggd...Who knew a frustrating "Artists' Block" could be the springboard for a "play date!" Thanks for adding a fun element to an otherwise unpleasant time.


--------------------------------------

From Jennifer:
I wanted to say thanks . . . for seeking out help and ideas for breaking that block. There are many awesome ideas and tips I am sure will help out. 

ggd...Thanks for aiming us down this path.......a subject virtually all artists and crafters are sure to experience one time or another. It's nice to have some tools ready for that eventuality.
Let us know how it goes for you!

 --------------------------------------
 We need your ideas for getting unstuck too! 
What works best for you?
Write:    STAMPSggdesigns@aol.com
 --------------------------------------





Random Ideas:  
Music....select your favorite background music. SELECT it....not just the luck of the draw. Something that makes you feel good. If you are low energy...something to pep you up or if you are tense (about this block you are tackling) something soothing. ggd once had a class where the instructor manipulated the students' drawings simply be his choice of background music. 
A favorite beverage....Careful here though. There are many art materials which should not be used around food. Plus...when you are distracted, it's really easy to drink the paint water and wash your brushes in your coffee!!!
Sign above ggd's "To Do" list:
REMEMBER...YOUR STARTER MOTOR IS BROKEN!!! Always figure some external "hook" to get you "out there" (creating or doing whatever needs doing).

 --------------------------------------


More on books....SARK may be familiar to many of you. This author has made a career writing about virtually every aspect of spurring, sparking, utilizing, encouraging and developing creativity. Her books contain exercises for enhancing creativity in every area of life, primarily but not exclusively your artistic life. Of particular importance here....her MicroMOVEment invention. If you search "Sark, micromovement" you will find downloadable work sheets and LOTS of support for her approach to tackling procrastination.
Don't forget to check for used books and various formats...hard back, paper back, Nook, Kindle, etc. 

: )  Not even sure it's applicable to creative works of art and craft (it's primarily business/career directed) but can't resist adding: Eat That Frog because the title (and the image it brings forth) is so captivating, the preposterousness so appealing.
It comes from Mark Twain through Brian Tracy.

Reply from Michelle:
Also, if you didn't want to
READ ' Eat That Frog' you could 'hop' on over to Chocolaterie Stam and get one of their 'Chocolate Frogs'! Oh so Yummy!! Now that might spark some creativity, too. :)





Don't forget to read (and add to) the COMMENTS below!
AND......send your address, in order to be eligible to receive a prize.



4 comments:

  1. Not too sure if you wanted this here or in an email, but here is one thought. Skip making a project and do some components for future projects. My first thought was make a stack of backgrounds. Or punch a bunch of flowers and butterflies and leaves. Or stamp a few pages with some images and then color them in. Maybe use more than one coloring medium, especially trying at least one you don't usually use.

    I hope this will help you find a place to start creating again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE BLOCK. I'm assuming this question is just for us scrappers, card makers and misc artists, not BUSINESS related artist blocks, as in for a deadline, that's a whole other story...

    So why is it so important to get over the block?? Maybe your mind, body, spirit needs a rest. I know I recently went through about a 10 day dry spell. I think that's the longest I've ever gone through not creating. But I didn't call it a BLOCK. I just let it happen and came back with a burst.

    I know there has to be some kind of mind related need to create something. If there is no reason, there is no focus, and you absolutely need some type of focus. So give yourself a reason or a need to create something. Like: I need something for that wall, or I should make a birthday card for my uncle etc. etc..

    Once you have a focus/reason, then you can apply the principles of creating: color choices, topics, images and play with it. Even if you don't finish it. That's OK too. It's not always the finished product but the journey you take in playing with all the elements, including your thinking process and the tangents that come from that.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to say thanks for a couple things, first for seeking out help and ideas for breaking that block. There are many awesome ideas and tips I am sure will help out. Second, thank you so much for the lovely stamps today, it was a delightful surprise and one I didn't expect. j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! What a lovely treat in the mail today! I will look forward to using the great stamp you sent to me! Thanks!!
      Also, if you didn't want to
      READ ' Eat That Frog' you could 'hop' on over to Chocolaterie Stam and get one of their 'Chocolate Frogs'! Oh so Yummy!! Now that might spark some creativity, too. :)
      Michelle

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message. We appreciate it.